How do some of the most successful entrepreneurs in the world stay happy, focused and productive? What were the trade secrets of Henry Ford, Larry Page and Thomas Edison? How did Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates get to the top? Simple. They all shared something in common. They all followed a set of habits every day that over time led to success.
If you're wondering what those habits are, so you can set yourself on a similar path to fame and fortune, then you can follow them yourself by reading through Creative Boom's 50 awesome habits of successful entrepreneurs...
1. Start each day with the biggest challenge, and sort the small stuff later.
2. Know how to manage cash flow and control your spending.
3. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself; just try your very best.
4. Outsource menial tasks that are taking up too much time, so you can concentrate on the real work.
5. Don’t be shy about self-promotion; get your name out there.
6. Understand that success is a long journey and the road won't be easy; but the more you put in, the more you'll get out.
7. Really learn to get organised and productive; time is money.
8. Never underestimate the power of communication and building strong relationships with customers.
9. Make five goals each year to work towards; and focus on accomplishing them.
10. Keep up with the latest technology and industry updates; be ahead of your game.
11. Cherish your evenings and weekends; forget work and spend time with family and friends instead.
12. Always have a book of fiction on the go, totally unrelated to work. It will help you relax and switch off.
13. Don’t drink alcohol during the week. Contrary to popular belief, it doesn’t relax you or help you sleep… quite the opposite. Save it for the weekends, if you must.
14. Have a morning and evening routine. Humans thrive off routine.
15. Disconnect. Switch off the smartphone, hide away the tablet. Really escape from the digital world.
16. Get into cooking. It’s a very zen-like practice that helps you relax and focus on something other than work.
17. Take moments to enjoy those hobbies you love.
18. Learn a new skill, totally unrelated to work – like a foreign language, or a musical instrument.
19. Surround yourself with great friends who make you happy. Don't underestimate the importance of positive company.
20. Enjoy spending some time alone. We all need those moments away from others, to recharge the batteries.
21. Make an effort to nurture relationships, both at work and at home.
22. Pick your battles and know when to back down.
23. Know how to handle criticism positively, learn something from it and move on.
24. Have a positive attitude at all times. Positivity attracts, negativity repels.
25. Be a great listener. People love to talk, so listen!
26. Never burn any bridges. You never know when you’ll need an ally.
27. Be the person you want other people to be. Be charming. Be everyone’s friend.
28. Be confident and comfortable in your own skin and you'll put everyone else at ease.
29. Become a master storyteller. Practice your elevator pitch, know how to sell yourself and successfully express your ideas.
30. Understand that first impressions really do count. Make an effort with your appearance and how you handle yourself. Good body language is a skill you must master.
31. Book regular holidays so you always have something to look forward to.
32. Get plenty of rest and sleep.
33. Don’t build your life around your business, build your business around your life.
34. Don’t sweat the small stuff. You’ve survived and thrived, so let little troubles wash over you.
35. Understand that it’s the small things that lead to happiness, not huge mortgages or fast cars.
36. Spend time outdoors, even if it’s just a 30-minute walk. A little fresh air and sunshine does wonders to the soul.
37. Take up difficult challenges and overcome them. Your confidence will soar when you achieve something you never thought possible.
38. Enjoy simple living. Material possessions only provide fleeting happiness.
39. Do something nice for other people on a regular basis. It doesn’t have to be expensive. It’s the thought that counts. And ‘giving’ is proven to make us happy.
40. Invest in yourself and strive to learn something new every day. You’ll be surprised and delighted by how much you move forward.
41. Make regular exercise a priority. You don’t have to join a gym. Exercise DVDs are awesome, as is running around your local park.
42. Look after your back by creating a healthy work environment. Invest in an ergonomic chair and ensure your desk setup is optimised for correct posture. Better still, get an adjustable standing desk so you can spend some of your day out of your chair.
43. Get up and take regular breaks away from your desk. Get outside if you can.
44. Learn how to breathe. If we’re stressed, we tend to take short, sharp breaths and this isn’t good for the body. Instead, breathe deeply for five seconds, hold it for 10 and then slowly exhale. Oxygen is life.
45. Eat well. Think about what you’re putting in to your body.
46. Cut down on the caffeine. Too much can make you anxious or heighten stress.
47. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Stay hydrated.
48. Keep work and home life separate. Don’t allow work to creep in to your downtime.
49. Keep stress at bay by being organised and productive, leaving plenty of money in the bank and ensuring clients are happy at all times. This will help you sleep at night.
50. When the going gets tough, be kind to yourself. There’s only so much you can achieve in one day, so relax and always remember to prioritise your health.